Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Your Favourite "old" gardening books.

someone wrote:
"Donwill" wrote in message

Does anybody else have a list of old favourites which you would like to
share your knowledge of.

Don

I use these three more than any of my other gardening/horticulture books:

1. "Practical Gardening and Food Production in Pictures" by Richard Sudell,
Odhams Press, London, 384 pp. No date, but probably early 40's since there
is a chapter on how to adapt your garden in wartime. Covers everything from
garden construction through propagation, pests, flowers, the kitchen garden,
growing fruit, allotments, keeping rabbits and poultry, and more. Full of
interesting B&W photographs and diagrams of how-to. A very practical and
down-to-earth book.

2. "The Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening: An Encyclopedia of
Horticulture" for Gardeners and Botanists. Ed. George Nicholson, L.Upcott
Gill (ca. 1888), 12 volumes. Lavishly illustrated with B&W line drawings and
some colour plates. How to grow anything from anywhere, good on worldwide
and tropical species as well as temperate. Definitely what to use when
there's no Internet available.

Yes,!!!!!!!! "The illustrated Dictionary of Gardening", I have the 4
Volume set, Dated 1888, a wonderful set of reference books, and as you
say, beautifully illustrated and a mine of information. I dig them out
when everything else has failed. My son gave them to me on my 60th
birthday, he lived in Hay and procured them for me.
Don
3. "Sanders' Encyclopaedia of Gardening" rev. A.J. MacSelf, Collingridge,
London, 477 pp. Many reprints from 1895 onwards (mine is 1945). How to
grow anything, useful as a botanical or horticultural reference for a
temperate climate.

someone