Old 19-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Lambert

Default Bromeliads - Pineapples

I know about the effects of bromelin on polypeptide chains and how it
hydrolizes proteins. Also, the canning process denatures the enzymes via
heat. Hence you don't get the tingling sensation on your tongue (the
pineapple is actually catalysing proteins on your tongue.)

I'm just wondering about why the pineapple and other fruits (papayas,
pawpaws) have evolved to have bromelin enzymes. What exactly is the
particular survival advantage of having such a trait?

"Beverly Erlebacher" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
Lambert wrote:

I'm a college student and I'm trying to dig up information about the
evolutionary advantage of bromelain in pineapples. Could anyone give me a
few pointers or lead me in the right direction?

Do an experiment. Buy a whole fresh pineapple. Peel and eat. Reflect
that domestic pineapples have been highly selected for palatability.

Note that cooked (e.g. canned) pineapple does not have the same effect.