Old 19-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Newbie: Growing chillies indoors

"Drakanthus" wrote in message temperature (bar the last few weeks
), but my last-years plants
didn't start flowering till mid september, never mind harvesting them!

Yes, read it in an American book on Chillies some years ago, and my
experience with my non-watering, greenhouse owning, neighbour bears it

out.

I've never had much success with Chillies. The growing season doesn't seem

long
enough here to grow them (in my unheated greenhouse anyway). Perhaps they

would do
better in a heated greenhouse or South facing conservatory.
--

Depends where you are in the Country.
I'm in N.Surrey and we grow ours (Thai Dragon from T&M and others) from seed
in our tiny greenhouse and plant them out very late May early June on the
allotments in a sheltered but sunny spot. We surround them on the north
eastern side with sweetcorn usually to keep the cold winds off and keep the
temperature up. Another allotment holder surrounds hers with 2ft tall fleece
fences, a bit lower on the S. side to let the sun in.
Lots of feed, seaweed extract works very well, and water to get them up to
flowering ASAP. They don't ever get big plants, 2ft tall max, but are so
dense and dark green that it's sometimes difficult to see the fruit.
Normally have some red chillies and lots of green ones by August, and by
pulling up time in Sept there is a good crop.
Last year was a bad year though, too dull and cool I think.
They do seem much hotter grown outside BTW but that could be the watering
problem mentioned before.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.