Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Your Favourite "old" gardening books.

"Donwill" wrote in message
I have a number of old favourites which I browse through now and again,
here's a list of a few of mine

Creating your Garden, Ian G Walls. my first gardening book, purchased in
1969.

The readers digest Complete Library of the Garden, 1st Edition.

The four books by Michael Howarth-Booth.

Some of Beverly Nichols' books, Garden Open Tomorrow is favourite.

Terrace and Courtyard Gardens by A D B Wood.

These are a few of the ones I keep returning to for inspiration and ideas
but I found it difficult to choose from the many.

Does anybody else have a list of old favourites which you would like to
share your knowledge of.

Don

i like "Insect pests of glasshouse crops" by Miles & Miles (published
privately by H.C. Long in 1935). It amuses me greatly as it reflects an age
where 'elf&safety were noticeable by their absence. Here is a typical quote
on fumigating a greenhouse with hydrocyanic acid:

"The gas is highly poisonous to man, and the operator must leave the
greenhouse quickly once the fumigation is started, especially when the gas
is liberated rapidly as in the "pot" method."

FYI, the "pot" method involved getting a container with about 100ml of 33%
sulphuric acid in it, and dropping around 30g of sodium cyanide into it.
The amazing thing is that for large greenhouses several of these containers
would be used, so the operator would have to get to the next one pretty
sharpish after dropping the cyanide into the previous one!

--

Jeff