Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default onions spacing

Bob Hobden wrote:
We plant our sets out at 9 inches apart and 12 between rows which means I
can still get the hoe between the plants when they have grown and it allows
the onions to grow as big as they want so we get different sized onions
instead of them all being the same size. It also stops cross contamination
with the White Rot fungus we have in our soil.

I've had terrible trouble with white rot on allotment2. I've tried to keep
all of the alliums on allotment1 this year.

So are you just using a bigger gap between bulbs to try and prevent the
white rot spreading? Does it work? Ours seemed to come in patches so I
assumed it was just patches in the ground rather than being passed between
the plants.