Old 19-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Diamondback water snake

We have had a first!

As Jim was enjoying the emergence of our lillies and water plants, he
noticed an undulating motion at the base of a pot. SNAKE! The body pattern
was unfamiliar, but clearly patterned. The snake was big enough to take
down my moderate goldfish and even smaller koi. NOT a welcome guest. After
some careful watching and spotting the coils in the sunken cinderblocks, the
snake had been captured and permanently relocated. 40" long, diamondback
water snake. We hope he does not tell his friends where our pond is. This
is the first in almost 5 years. May it be the last.

Snakes are fine as pets. We have had an anaconda, ball python, reticulated
python, corn snakes, and boas, but they live in aquaria or cages. The pond
is off limits.

P&J

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net