Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Default Identify ground cover

David E. Ross wrote:
I have a volunteer ground cover that I cannot identify. I also do
not have a functional camera in order to post a picture. Given the
size of the features I would need a pretty good macro lens to show
them.

It has a very low spreading habit rising no more than about 2cm
(1inch). The stem is up to 10cm (4in) long but that is arbitrary as
it roots constantly as it spreads. The stem is soft, about 1mm
(1/20th in) thick and pale green. The leaves are in adjacent pairs.
Each is 7-10mm (1/4 - 3/8in) and oval in shape about 1/2 to 1/3 as
wide as it is long. The leaf is matt finish mid green and some have
a dark reddish patch in the centre. It branches at some nodes and
produces reddish flower buds about 2mm (1/10 in) in diameter. Most
of the flowers are not open (it is autumn here) and the petals are
only visible through a magnifying glass, they are pink. It has no
smell. The habit is vaguely like thyme laid very flat instead of
clumps but the stems are leaves are soft and juicy where thyme is
tougher.

It is growing well in an enriched clay soil garden that is watered
when it doesn't rain. The climate is warm temperate.

Any advice is welcome, even a guess so that I can start looking for
images.

David

This sounds like spotted spurge, an agressive weed. By the time it's
big enough to see and remove, it's already dropped its tiny seeds.
And if you leave a short piece of stem, it will take root and continue
growing.

Its only "fortunate" feature is that it's an annual. But if you leave
it when it dies in the fall, you will find many new ones under it in
the following spring.

Depending on the botanist, it's either Chamaesyce maculata or
Euphorbia maculata.

Thanks that is it.

David