Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Your Favourite "old" gardening books.

"Donwill" wrote in message
snip
2. "The Illustrated Dictionary of Gardening: An Encyclopedia of
Horticulture" for Gardeners and Botanists. Ed. George Nicholson,
L.Upcott Gill (ca. 1888), 12 volumes. Lavishly illustrated with B&W line
drawings and some colour plates. How to grow anything from anywhere, good
on worldwide and tropical species as well as temperate. Definitely what
to use when there's no Internet available.

Yes,!!!!!!!! "The illustrated Dictionary of Gardening", I have the 4
Volume set, Dated 1888, a wonderful set of reference books, and as you
say, beautifully illustrated and a mine of information. I dig them out
when everything else has failed. My son gave them to me on my 60th
birthday, he lived in Hay and procured them for me.
Don

Snap! Mine were a 50th birthday present and my partner had to get them the
90 miles from a bookshop near Kew to where we live in N. Wilts - by bus.
The lot weights 18 lbs!

someone