Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dehydrated Cow Manure

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:30:22 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

The cow manure you buy in 40 pound bags at hardware stores, I'm
thinking of adding to my vegetable bed. I'm wondering if it will burn
my young plants? I want to till it into the soil along with some all
purpose granular fertilizer and compost about 6 weeks before I plant the
bed. Also, how many pounds of manure should I ad for every 100 sq ft?

Rich

Although somewhat low in nutrition numbers, cow manure can indeed burn
young plants. A bag every 100 sq feet tilled in sounds about right,
much less if not tilled in. I found using both manure and inorganic
fertilizers when tilling give the bestter yielding plants. You still
got to be careful, some plants, like peppers, are sensitive to too
much nitrogen.