Old 13-03-2010, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_9_] Billy[_9_] is offline

Default Dehydrated Cow Manure (take 2)

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:30:22 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

The cow manure you buy in 40 pound bags at hardware stores, I'm
thinking of adding to my vegetable bed. I'm wondering if it will burn
my young plants? I want to till it into the soil along with some all
purpose granular fertilizer and compost about 6 weeks before I plant the
bed. Also, how many pounds of manure should I ad for every 100 sq ft?

Rich

Production Practices and Sample Costs to Produce
Chili Pepper
Chicken manure (three to four tons per acre) is custom applied a week or
more prior to listing (tilling).
http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/Research/chili.html

100 sq.ft. = 0.0022956841 acre.
8,000#/acre = 18.37#/ 100 sq.ft.

Manure Chicken Diary cow
N 1.1 .257
P .80 .15
K .50 .25

1.1Chicken/.257Cow = 4.28

18.37 X 4.28 = 78.6236 lbs cow./100 sq. ft.

Make that 2 forty lb. bags / 100 sq. ft.

Although somewhat low in nutrition numbers, cow manure can indeed burn
young plants. A bag every 100 sq feet tilled in sounds about right,
much less if not tilled in. I found using both manure and inorganic
fertilizers when tilling give the bestter yielding plants. You still
got to be careful, some plants, like peppers, are sensitive to too
much nitrogen.