Old 13-03-2010, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Human Urine As A Source Of Nitrogen

EVP MAN wrote:
I been reading on the net about studies that have been done using
urine as fertilizer. Sounds like it's safe to use when diluted. In
different experiments that were done, human urine really seemed to
increase production in certain vegetable crops big time!

Yes

The
articles also state that urine is loaded with nitrogen. Perhaps it's
not just human urine but any urine.

Yes

My neighbor told me that many
years ago he knew an old farmer that used to take a bucket out in the
morning and catch urine right from his cows while they were
urinating. He would then pour the urine between the rows of his
plants. My neighbor said this farmer done this his whole life and
always grew wonderful veggies. I would imagine that he would of
diluted this urine also as not to burn the plants. I know what
happens when my dog ****es on the lawn.....LOL

Rich

Dogs they tend to go repeatedly in the same spot which compounds the
problem.

Provided that the donor does not have urinary tract infection it is safe
from a health point of view. Provided that you dilute it (or water it in)
it is safe from burning your plants. Large citrus trees (which are heavy
nitrogen feeders) can take it undiluted in modest quantities. Everyone
should teach their children to pee on the lemon tree.

David