Old 13-03-2010, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Human Urine As A Source Of Nitrogen

On 3/12/10 8:22 PM, EVP MAN wrote:

I been reading on the net about studies that have been done using urine
as fertilizer. Sounds like it's safe to use when diluted. In different
experiments that were done, human urine really seemed to increase
production in certain vegetable crops big time! The articles also state
that urine is loaded with nitrogen. Perhaps it's not just human urine
but any urine. My neighbor told me that many years ago he knew an old
farmer that used to take a bucket out in the morning and catch urine
right from his cows while they were urinating. He would then pour the
urine between the rows of his plants. My neighbor said this farmer done
this his whole life and always grew wonderful veggies. I would imagine
that he would of diluted this urine also as not to burn the plants. I
know what happens when my dog ****es on the lawn.....LOL

Rich

It's generally too rich in salt, ordinary NaCl.

Across much of south-western U.S., the soils and water both already have
so much salt that repeated irrigation poisons the soil unless there is
sufficient rain to leach away the salt. The use of urine would only
make that problem worse.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean