Old 13-03-2010, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_9_] Billy[_9_] is offline

Default Germination

Huh?
It has been nearly 4 weeks since I started my last tray of seeds to
germinate. Yellow wax peppers came up after 5 days, then a couple of
Portofino squash, and so on and so forth, and for the last ten days I've
had 20 or so cells not doin' nothin'. Then bang, yesterday, up came a
couple of Quadrato di Asti, a couple of lemon cukes, Ice Box
watermelons, and Swiss Chard. I'm using my one and two year old seeds
first, and I figured that they had just gone toes up, and I was getting
ready to chuck them. Now I'll leave that tray to complete what it can
and start a new tray (my last one for vegetables) to complete the plants
that I want, and insure that I have enough of the ones that I want (only
3 bitter melons have germinated and I want at least 5).

Patience (or laziness) is a virtue. If some of your seeds didn't
germinate, give them some time, if you can. They might surprise you,
like they did me.

58F here today (Northern California) and I have 2 tray of repotted
plants outside catching some rays. They'll come in tonight, out of the
cold, and away from any stray slugs or snails.

I know that I'm getting an earlier start than many of you, but when your
70F nights kick in, you leave me in the dust.