Old 14-03-2010, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
Lionel[_2_] Lionel[_2_] is offline

Default How to garden in clayish poorly drained soil

Hi guys,

My wife and I have just bought a house in Brisbane and we plan to fill
the yard with fruit trees and gardens.

The soil in the area tends to be a clay type soil on top of shale. It
takes a lot to get wet, but once wet stays that way for weeks.

I'm wondering two things:

1. For trees such as citrus, what is the best thing to do to give them
the best chance of a fruitful life? I noticed some people heap the dirt.

2. What plants/tees like poorly drained soil? I'm planning on putting
some taros in at the bottom and having a water tank overflow onto them,
maybe some mint in the same area.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Lionel.