Old 15-03-2010, 08:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Indain Mynas

Trish Brown writes:
Pete wrote:
There is a group in Canberra dedicated to cutting the numbers of indian
mynas. There is probably no hope of eradication, but their efforts tip
the balance back to the natives a bit.

Their website contains a lot of useful info, including a trap.

Pete

http://www.indianmynaaction.org.au/

There's a huge camphor laurel at the end of our street and every Indian
Myna for miles roosts there every evening. I've often wondered why,
since the rotten things are communal roosters, they can't send a nice
man with a cannon net and a few canisters of CO2. It would be as humane
as anything else and *so* simple.

So simple, and *so* easy.

A local council in Sydney hatched a cunning scheme to trap hundreds of
indian mynas by throwing nets over 3 or 4 large palm trees where the
pests had taken to roosting each evening. Portable lighting was set up
at the ready, cherry pickers were brought in to drape the nets, and
staff at the local zoo stood by to humanely euthanise all the captured
birds.

Just after dusk, at a given signal the plan went into operation: nets
were thrown and tied off, powerful lights turned night into day, and
amid the din of hundreds of squarking mynas people worked feverishly to
extract them from the nets and shove them into cages. When the drama
was over and the nets finally emptied, a waiting van sped off to the
zoo with its hapless cargo of captured mynas. All three of them.