Old 15-03-2010, 03:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Garden Tractor fuel gauge

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 07:38:03 -0700, Hustlin' Hank wrote:

On Mar 15, 8:27�am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 01:30:09 -0700, Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I know this probably sounds stupid to you, but have you ever thought
of filling the gas tank full before you start to mow? If you do this,
you will never run out of gas and will not need a gauge.

... unless your yard takes more than a tank (mine uses a tank and a
half, so I have to fill up even if I start off full).

Sounds like you need a bigger tank, mower, or smaller yard.

Hank ~~~mows for 3 hours on 1/3 tank (15 gal tank).

Yeah... we've got a little over 2 acres of grass, normally takes me
somewhere between 2 and 2.5 hours to cut (blades are somewhere around
40" - I'd have to dig the mower out to check for sure though). I don't
think the tank's much over 2 gallons, though - so it takes about 3 to cut
that much (usually every 2 weeks during growing season)

I keep wondering about getting a "full sized" tractor with a mowing deck
(it'd be useful for other stuff too), but I'm not sure what the running
costs would be like - although it'd save time, I don't know if it'd
necessarily save on gas.

cheers

Jules