Old 15-03-2010, 06:33 PM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen[_2_] gardenlen[_2_] is offline

Default How to garden in clayish poorly drained soil

g'day lionel,

the citrus will need to be planted in a raised position so the feeder
roots get good drainage, that is like building a mound then planting
the tree. other trees that don't need that extra draiange will be ok
planted into teh clay, most of our clays respond to gypsum so use lots
of that in teh planting areas. once planted mulcjh as usual our trees
live on rain alone.

same with vege' gardens do raised beds check out our presentations for
ideas.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

do a ph test jsut in case your medium may be on the acid side if so
add in some dolomite at the correct rate all will be good.

we ahve all sorts of trtees in our clay including some palms and
cordalines but most of the regular plantings will do well in the clay,
by mulching you will start the process of amending the clay over time,
and if you can turn the whole area into garden and mulch the lot that
would be better again.

a search online should give you presentations of planting in raised
positions.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:27:22 +1000, Lionel wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--