Old 15-03-2010, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default What mix?

"Muddymike" wrote in message
I have several large pots and tubs to fill and refill this year
and am thinking of getting out the cement mixer and mixing up my
own concoction of garden soil, home compost and a suitable
fertilizer.
But
1. what fertilizer and what ratio of soil to compost
should I use?
2. should I add anything else? Sand?

Not quite the same, but in the past I have mixed up bags of topsoil, peat
(or peat free) compost and farmyard manure.

I think I posted the proportions a while back, but they were roughly two of
potting compost to one of topsoil to one of manure.
I then added a scoop of Growmore and a scoop of chicken sh*t.

If you are planning to use your garden soil then the mix depends very much
on what kind of soil you have in your garden.

JI No. 3 and bagged topsoil (which I interchange based on price) have fine
gravel in them and I think some sand.

You have to judge if your soil is light or heavy and adjust proportions to
suit.

HTH

Dave R