Old 16-03-2010, 09:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default Jet Star Tomatoes

Last season I put out eight different varieties of tomatoes all hybrids.
Jet Star won hands down as far as production and a very nice slicing
tomato that we enjoyed. This season I plan to have a few Jet Star
plants again as well as other hybrids and also some heirlooms. Last
year I pruned all my plants to one main stem and also used stakes which
I was very happy with. I averaged about 25 nice tomatoes per plant. I
fertilized with Jobes tomato spikes and also Miracle grow for tomatoes.
After doing some research I found out that a large scale produce grower
also here in PA plants thousands of Jet Star tomatoes every year. I did
notice as the season wore on that my tomatoes did get a bit smaller
compared to the earlier fruits. I blame this on too much watering. I
would water every other day by laying a garden hose at the base of each
plant and water for around three minutes each. I think by watering so
often that I washed much of the fertilizer away. As a newbie to
gardening I did make a few mistakes last season which I hope to correct
this year! I'll be growing many more veggies this year instead of just
tomatoes. Won't be long until I'll be starting my plants from seed
indoors. April 1 for me here in our area. The weather is getting nice
now and I'm really getting the urge to play in the dirt or as Bill would
perhaps say: putter in the garden

Rich