Old 16-03-2010, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beginner with Bulbs

"pipistrollers" wrote in message
news

I have been given a load of bulbs which I have been told are summer
flowering. If I plant these bulbs now, will they flower this summer and
also, are these plants very invasive as I will be planting loads of
other plants soon? The bulbs I have been given are ...... gayfeather,
ladys mantle, golden rod, allium moly, gladiolus nova lux and astilbe
spirea.

Thank you for your help in sorting out my confusion.

There are very few invasive bulbs, particularly on clay soil. But one I
would particularly avoid is common muscari (grape hyacinth). If you have
good, free draining soil it will take over and is not easy to get rid of as
the bulbs produce dozens of smaller bulblets when you dig them up. It also
self-seeds everywhere.

--

Jeff