Old 16-03-2010, 11:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Lily Pond Open

Started the lily pond filter last weekend, took the shade cover off totally
this weekend. Extended forecast shows the scarecrows should be safe from
any hard freeze, so the cover came off.

I lost 2 of the older/first babies of last season, one a walkin the other
had regressed to having a single type tail. The only adult I lost was a
very pretty shubunkin, but it had a big weakness, flared gill plates. At
some time it must have been subjected to bad water before coming to me, not
sure if this is what did it in or what. All the adult wakins look good. The
one black moor needed a salt dip and I added salt gasp* to the pond.
*Gasp, as after all this IS my lily pond.

Current water temp 51.8F... koi ponds only up to 42.6F, hoping to open them
and start the filter next weekend if that water temp would get up there to,
at least, the upper 40's. We'll see.

Anyone else getting their ponds going? Oh... harvested my first handful of
spinach and put it in the tossed salad for dinner tonight. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us