Old 16-03-2010, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Unknown Plant (again)

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Bill Rose said:

Can anyone identify this plant? It came up in a germination cell that
should have been onions.

http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Unknown Plant folder
First pic upper left.

I'm thinking epazote, but I've never grown it before.

Some type of pigweed (Amaranthus sp.) and a slightly anemic
looking specimen, at that.

Aw, give it a break, it's only 4 weeks old and growing like . . .
a weed.

Pigwweeds can be hard to ID down to
species without having the mature inflorescence to look at.

http://www.oisat.org/pests/weeds/bro.../pigweeds.html
http://ipm.illinois.edu/bulletin/pas...s/200122g.html

After reading the 2 above cites, I'm tempted to take a flame thrower to
the little guy.

When I was loading a tray of germination cells, I found this small
(2"X2"), plastic, zip-lock baggie which had no identification. I went
back through my seed packets and couldn't find one without seeds to
connect the baggie to, so I planted a few seeds and marked the cell with
a question mark.

This year, besides gardening, I guess I'll be a plant detective as well.
Did the plant come from an old baggie of seeds, or did the cell become
contaminated somehow, and which member of the Amaranthaceae gang is it?

"Utricle--a membranous bladderlike sac enclosing an ovary or fruit
(seed). The utricle is contained with the tepals, and the seed is
enclosed by the utricle. How the utricle fractures (breaks apart) has
been the basis for differentiating between common and tall waterhemp."
ZZZZZZ

Uh, yeah, sure, right, and I need to keep it away from my beds until I
figure out what the little rascale is.

Thanks for the cites, Pat, very interesting, if laborious, reading that
you and Una have given me.

As they say in France,

St. Cloud, ball de match
(thank you very much)