Old 16-03-2010, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default Book present for a working gardener

"Tim" no wrote in message
om...
Hi

My girlfriend works as a gardener for the National Trust. I'd like to get
her a book on gardening for her birthday (romance eh!) but there are so
many choices I'd like to run some ideas past you in case any of the
options aren't as good as they seem

Which of these do you think will be the most informative/useful choice -
dry and technical is fine - dry and not actually very useful will hit the
bin :-)

Wood and Garden: Notes and Thoughts, Practical and Critical, of a Working
Amateur by Gertrude Jekyll
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capron
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Botany-Garde...=pd_rhf_shvl_3

Science and the Garden: The Scientific Basis of Horticultural Practice by
David S. Ingram
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...ref=sib_rdr_dp

Applied Principles of Horticultural Science by Laurie Brown
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Applied-Prin.../dp/0750653426

RHS Pruning and Training by Christopher Brickell
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHS-Pruning-.../dp/1405300736

As the garden she works in is Victorian there's also the option of books
from that period. Any recommendations on that front?

Thanks for any help

Tim
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lusername/
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/

Depends where she's at career wise.
The Brian Capon is an excellent introductory text for both amateur and
professional gardeners and he relishes his subject as the reader usually
will.
Travel/adventure/gardening - Valley of Flowers by F. S. Smythe - it's out of
print but widely available.

Rod