Old 17-03-2010, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to do with extra soil ?

In article ,
says...

Our flats have a shared rear 250 square foot garden. Nobody did
anything with it for years and it fell into pretty bad shape.

I have managed to restore about two thirds of it as (uneven and patchy)
lawn with some flower beds. The rear third of it, however, is a series
of 2 foot bumps and is a mixture of rubble, soil, weeds, etc. I am
slowly digging it over and so far have dug up about 3 tons of soil which
I have then finely sifted into large piles.

My plan is to spread this over the existing lawn, thereby evening out
the bumps in the existing lawn. If I was to put about an inch of this
sieved soil all over the lawn, will the grass that is there at the
moment grow through ?

--
duncspur

Yes, but I tend to apply seed as well to speed things up
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk