Old 17-03-2010, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~Brian~ ~Brian~ is offline

Default What to do with extra soil ?

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

Our flats have a shared rear 250 square foot garden. Nobody did
anything with it for years and it fell into pretty bad shape.

I have managed to restore about two thirds of it as (uneven and
patchy) lawn with some flower beds. The rear third of it, however,
is a series of 2 foot bumps and is a mixture of rubble, soil, weeds,
etc. I am slowly digging it over and so far have dug up about 3
tons of soil which I have then finely sifted into large piles.

My plan is to spread this over the existing lawn, thereby evening out
the bumps in the existing lawn. If I was to put about an inch of
this sieved soil all over the lawn, will the grass that is there at
the moment grow through ?

--
duncspur

Yes, but I tend to apply seed as well to speed things up

Agreed! I had some low lying patches last year as a result of turning a veg
patch over to lawn with the inevitable settling (some of them almost holes).
I filled the low areas with soil and levelled it off and applied a good
quality seed just below the surface. It has now almost recovered and is
looking pretty good.