Old 17-03-2010, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Last Year's Seeds

On 17/03/2010 15:17, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Started planting up some veg (indoors in pots) last night.
Came across packets of last years runners and broad beans.
The beans had darkened somewhat and one or two were "fusty" (the fusty ones
were not used).
What's the chances of these germinating on a window sill in peat pots?

TIA

Phil

Runner beans keep for years provided they are kept in dry conditions.
We brought some streamline runner beans to France (picked off the mature
plants) we grew in England five years ago. They are still around 95% viable.

I've started keeping beans off the mature plants here now to use the
following year. Seems pointless buying them when you can use the seeds
from one year to the next with such success.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.