Old 17-03-2010, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default Book present for a working gardener

"Tim" no wrote in message
om...

Depends where she's at career wise.
The Brian Capon is an excellent introductory text for both amateur and
professional gardeners and he relishes his subject as the reader usually
will.
Travel/adventure/gardening - Valley of Flowers by F. S. Smythe - it's out
of print but widely available.

Rod

Thanks for the feedback on Brian Capon and the F. S. Smythe suggestion,
I'll look into it.

Tim

Following on Janet's suggestion, I read an excellent biography of David
Douglas (of the Fir) some years ago - can't remember the exact title but an
inspirational read for a gardener.
Also from my rose phase many years ago - 'For Love of a Rose', by Antonia
Ridge. Again almost certainly out of print but an excellent and sometimes
moving history of The Meilland rose growing family and an account of the
breeding and introduction of' Peace' - the first of the modern hybrid tea
roses (and still as good as many newer ones)

Rod