Old 17-03-2010, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sutartsorric sutartsorric is offline

Default Last Year's Seeds

On 17 Mar, 20:17, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
wrote in message

In article , wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

We certainly ate a lot of runner beans and when we got sick of them he
would
salt them in jars for winter. *We always had home grown runner beans
with
our Christmas dinner.

Ooh, how does the salted jars work? *Whole bean pods or just the beans?
Blanched first? *How much salt? *And then how do you serve?

You string them, slice them (you could/can? buy special devices)
and layer them with a LOT of salt. *You then take them out, soak
them in cold water, throw it away, and they are STILL disgustingly
salty. *Don't bother.

But they weren't - they were like almost like fresh.

Yes, I remember my parents having Kilner jars full of salted runner
beans lined up on a shelf in the garage during the late 50s/early 60s
winters. I dont like a lot of salt, but I dont remember the beans
being really salty.

I dont think they used ordinary table salt, I seem to remember it
being bought in blocks. Maybe that makes a difference?