Old 17-03-2010, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default compost/fertilizer advice

GardenSW7 wrote:
I have a loamy/sandy soil in the garden borders which has become dusty
and depleted of nutrients. Any suggestions as regards the best
fertilizer to buy to regenerate it and improve water retention? I was
thinking of well matured manure.

Look for a cheap source of organic matter in your area. It may be manure,
spent mushroom compost, vegetable waste from local government collections,
stable bedding etc or a combination. Start your own compost heap. Grow a
green manure crop and turn it in. All of the above.

David