Old 17-03-2010, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default compost/fertilizer advice

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

GardenSW7 wrote:
I have a loamy/sandy soil in the garden borders which has become dusty
and depleted of nutrients. Any suggestions as regards the best
fertilizer to buy to regenerate it and improve water retention? I was
thinking of well matured manure.

Look for a cheap source of organic matter in your area. It may be manure,
spent mushroom compost, vegetable waste from local government collections,
stable bedding etc or a combination. Start your own compost heap. Grow a
green manure crop and turn it in. All of the above.

David

Add some clay while your're at it. The charged surface of clay hangs on
to nutrients, and it impedes the flow of water.
30% - 40% sand, 30% - 40% silt, 20% - 30% clay is your target. Then add
10% - 15% by volume, compost or compostable material.