Old 17-03-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Simonite Paul Simonite is offline

Default Any idea what a weird snake's head like shoot is?

The message
from redwildgeeza contains
these words:

Hi,

Please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area, but I couldn't find
a "what's this plant" type forum area...

But does anyone know what this plant could turn out to be? You can see
pic at http://tinyurl.com/yaveuun

We’ve just moved into a new house and have no idea what this could be.
It’s just started to push through with spring coming a bit late in the
UK, and it kind looks like a black snakes head!

Because there’s so many of them, I snipped one open to reveal what kinda
looked like sweet corn inside the tip? Im guessing it's some form of
bulb, as it has only just started to shoot.

I wonder if I’m being thrown off the scent of what it could be because
it could be frost damaged through a harsh cold winter?

Any ideas?

Horsetail (I think othwerwise known as Mare's tail). A very difficult
weed to eradicate. can regenerate from the smallest piece of root left
in the ground. When it turns green it will look like a miniature plam
tree. Try a google imgae search for Horsetail. A member of an ancient
non-flowering plant family whose ancestors were common in the days of
the old dinosaurs.

--
Compo - sufferer from horsetail.