Old 18-03-2010, 11:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
None4U None4U is offline

Default Growing plants under fluorescent lights

"VictoriaJS" wrote in message

richardg;877949 Wrote:
I am growing my own lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes etc. plants in my
basement for planting into my garden.
There is a conflict in growing instructions for lettuce and cabbage. I
have read that they grow best if the lights are several inches above
the plants. I have also read that lettuce and cabbage like the growing
temperature to be around 60 degrees. The problem is that when the
lights are several inches above the plants the soil temperature is
around 75 degrees. BTW they are grown in an unheated (around 55
degrees) basement. Is there any best solution or only some compromise?
Thanks, Richard

Hi,
The kind of lights you use will make a huge difference to the growth of
your plants. Seedlings are typically started off with 125watt CFL lights
placed just a couple of inches above the plants. These give off a low
level of heat so shouldn't scorch the foliage unless you leave the
foliage wet. Once the seedlings have got going it is best to move on to
a higher wattage such as 250 watt or more up to a max of 600watt. For
indoor growing you might do well to visit your local hydro shop.

--
Are they talking air temp or soil temp. Lights usually give off to much
heat. If its air temp they mean. Its so you dont burn the plants.