Old 19-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Malcolm

Default Natures Predictions

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Malcolm
writes

In article , Bill
Brewer writes

"Malcolm" wrote in a message:

In article Bill Brewer writes,

"If the ash before the oak, we're in
for a soak, if the oak before the ash, we're in for a splash". Works more
often than not in foretelling the weather for the coming summer.
-----------------------
Malcolm, check the saying out for a few years and you might be surprised to
find that it has some validity. I did say that it, "works more often than
not". Don't ask me why.

Coincidence. No more and no less!

Could be more than that. Could be that a particular type of summer
weather is more likely after a particular type of spring weather - ie
both leaf budding and summer weather bear a relationship to spring
weather.

Sounds improbable, though. Weather is more complicated than that.

The 'holy grail' of accurate long-range forecasting has been sought by
the Met Office with the aid of one of the world's most powerful
computers and has yet to be found. There are no such patterns as you
describe.

--
Malcolm