Old 18-03-2010, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree Identification

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 18 Mar, 09:19, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I walked past this tree yesterday, and wondered what it was.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.828887,-1.186917&sp...

Right now it is about 3 m high. The trunk is silvery white,
peeling slightly. The branches form a true goblet shape, all
pointing upwards, and the newer growth is reddish.

Looks like a good choice for limited space.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

It's a silver birch, but I don't think that publishing the address of
the house is a very good idea,
David Hill

I suspect that it is a Himalayan or Chinese birch. I'd guess at Betula
jacquemontii, and likely a selection such as 'Inverewe' or 'Inverleith,
but I'm not familiar enough with the group to exclude Betula utilis or
Betula albosinensis.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley