Old 18-03-2010, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Planting time - SoCAL -tomatoes

In article ,
Dave_s wrote:

My local Los Angeles, Calif and San Fernando Valley nursery says is
OK now to plant Brandwine and other similar variety tomatoes.
Other internet sources indicate that night temperatures are not at least
55 F so is too early. They indicate planting tomatoes in too cool soil
sets back the tomato plants. They indicate better to plant late April or
early May.

For Los Angeles, Calif and San Fernando Valley Can someone indicate
when is OK to plant my 4 inch pot 75 day maturing tomatoes in ground?

Thanks, Dave_s

Here on the North Coast, if we were to wait for 55°F evenings, we
wouldn't plant until mid-July. If you are past your last frost and have
8 hr. of sunshine, go for it. It would probably help to put some clear
plastic sheeting down, to help warm the soil, along one side of a row of
tomatoes, or a semi-circle for a single plant. Completely surrounding
the plant with plastic sheeting risks burning the plant, if it touches
the plastic during mid-day, and it makes it difficult to water.