Old 18-03-2010, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default What causes black bits inside potatoes?

On 2010-03-18 18:24:57 +0000, David in Normandy
said:

On 18/03/2010 18:56, Bob Hobden wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote
Any ideas what cause this? I'm just curious. It doesn't seem to be
directly related to slug damage as the black / grey mass can sometimes
be quite deep inside otherwise apparently pest free potatoes.

If you mean a black ring around the inside of the potato, that is Sprang.

I wouldn't say it was a ring, really more random dark patches (grey /
black) typically the size of a sugar cube. I noticed it again today
while cutting up *some shop bought potatoes for chips. If it is some
sort of disease perhaps I shouldn't compost the peelings?

I wonder if this is frost damage? * And I really do mean "I wonder"
because I'm far from being a veg. expert. * But a lot of potatoes have
been damaged by frost this winter.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

I always thought it was something to do with to much nitrogen
fretilizer, but can find no referance for it.
Did find this however, doesn't answer the question, but is
interesting.
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ml?view_img=11
David Hill