Old 18-03-2010, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What causes black bits inside potatoes?

On 18/03/2010 22:16, RogerT wrote:
The ge.fr
from David in contains these words:

If it is some
sort of disease perhaps I shouldn't compost the peelings?

Ever since my mother taught me the basics of gardening xx years ago,
I've never composted potatoe peeling. I think I was told that they would
grow either in the compost or not rot and grow when the compost was
spread on the garden.

Mind you this was all before fancy compost bins, worms, compost
maker/accelerator and the desire to produce compost quickly.

I've often wondered if this advice is sound, what do people think? I
still use a two year copmposting cycle.

Roger T

I use those black plastic compost bins - like a very large dustbin with
no bottom. Peelings just vanish into the compost. The only survivors
tend to be (rarely) from larger pototoes discarded into the compost -
e.g. those that are starting to sprout - so I no longer put those in.

We've got tons of lawn clipping to put in too - and they make the bins
extremely hot, especially with some of my free liquid human compost
accelerator ;-)

The compost is often turned around and back into the garden in 6 months.
Sometimes less during the hot summer months.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.