Old 18-03-2010, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
None4U None4U is offline

Default No work gardens.

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"None4U" wrote in message
et...
The book , by Ruth Stout states that by putting 8 inches of hay, or
leaves, or mulch on your garden. You dont have to do anything to it. My
problem is weeds. And I was almost going to cover my garden with black
covering this year and sterilize and let it kill all the weeds . Ive got
those marigold vines that overun everything. Do you think cover would
keep the weeds down and allow me to grow this year .

How long have you been using mulch to suppress weeds? The first year I
did it, I was pulling bindweed sprouts out every single day. (Bindweed,
in case you don't know, is an aggressive vining flower that develops an
enormous taproot and covers EVERYTHING if left uncontrolled.) I also had
lots of grass in my beds, strongly coming up through the cardboard and
mulch.

Two years later, the bindweed is all but gone--I had to pull a sprout
maybe once a week last summer--and the grass is coming under control as
well. I think it just takes time. The first couple of years will be
"more work" gardens where weeds are concerned, but after a couple of years
of mulch and cover crops, the weeds don't need to be there, so they don't
grow. You must remember that weeds are nature's way of protecting the
earth--any time earth is exposed, such as with a freshly-tilled garden
bed--whatever seeds lie in the soil will pop up to cover the bare area.
When you cover that area with mulch and cover crops, you have done the
work of protecting it, and will get fewer weeds.
--S.

Im sriously over run by marigold vines . and a lot ofother stuff. From me
puting 18 inches of horse manure in there.