Old 19-03-2010, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default What causes black bits inside potatoes?

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Potato peelings DO rot (very fast)

They don't. Sometimes it takes months for them to rot down,
which is why I never put them in the wormery.

I got told to stop putting potato peelings in the wormery because they were
growing and the worms didn't like it. (Tbh, I never heard them complain,
but he probably talks to them more than I do)

and don't regrow either in the compost or later in the garden.

They most certainly do. I have often eaten the results of the tattie
peelings that had been put in the compost heap... Not so much
now, with modern composters, but certainly have done so in the past.

I got a small pile of potatoes out of the composted soil earlier this year.
Best overwintered potatoes I've ever managed!