Old 19-03-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default No work gardens.

In article ,
says...

No such thing as marigold vines. Kill file time.

Sorry, I think they are morning glories the horses ate. White and purple
flowers that overun my tomatoes and you cant even walk in there.

Just keep weeding.

IF they are your basic morning glory annuals then keep up with your
weeding. The seeds will remain in the soil and continue to germinate for
a few years but gaining the upper hand with them isn't a big deal.

We have garden variety morning glories growing around the vegetable
beds. The morning glories come up in the beds all the time and get
weeded out as a matter of course. We'd be weeding anyway so it works out
fine.

If they are annual bindweed, the same holds true. Just keep weeding
until the yearly waves of seed have spent themselves.

Field bindweed is a perennial and more difficult because it will regrow
from the severed root but the solution is exactly the same with the
certain knowledge that each time you sever the vine, you weaken the
root.

And as for masses of vines, careful snipping (avoiding your tomato
vines) will give you the room you need to walk in and weed.