Old 19-03-2010, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Growing a Rosemary bush

On 19 Mar, 10:06, Dave Hill wrote:

On 2010-03-18 21:30:33 +0000, "graham" said:

snip

As a side note, I'd like to grow some heather. Is it available as se
ed?
Graham

Yes, it can be grown from seed but I've never done it, so I don't know
what the success rate is.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

I can't see why anyone would want to grow it from seed, Cuttings take
so easily.
Just as an experiment I bought a packet of fresh rosemary from Tesco,
it was "yellow stickied" so was not the freshest, and put all the
stems in as cuttings, the strike rate was well over 50%, giving me
around 12 plants for the princly sum of 10p.
Re the flavour, strength, I would have put it down to the weather, in
dry sunny times the oil would be more concentrated in the leaves.
David Hill

It's heather he'd like to try from seed, David. *Have you ever done
that? *I haven't but then I'm not that keen on heathers in gardens.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Typical age thing didn't notice the bit about Heathers.
I've never seen heather seed for sale, but thinking how many heather
seedlings used to grow from peat based compost it should be a
reasonable proposition.
The only seed I can find on offer is the wild Ling
David Hill- Hide quoted text -

Just found this on heathers from seed
http://www.heathersociety.org.uk/propagation.html
Now I must get out and work