Old 19-03-2010, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry)

In article , "George"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper than that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears are
failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little support.
Perhaps he was just demonstrating the equipment, but he was squeezing
the apple slurry much too quickly. You need to let the cake drain before
continuing or some of the juice will be physically blocked from
draining. Rice hulls would help the juice find its way around the
pectins.

My god, have you seen the price of Calvados recently? Couple of years
ago, I could get a bottle for $15. Now it is $40 and (way) up.