Old 19-03-2010, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default No work gardens.

"None4U" wrote in message

Sorry, I think they are morning glories the horses ate. White and purple
flowers that overun my tomatoes and you cant even walk in there.

That's bindweed, the exact same thing I had. Again, it will take a few
years to get rid of it fully. Expect to pull them out every day this
summer. It will help to lay down some cardboard (or at least several layers
of newspaper) before putting the mulch down. That will stop some of it, but
not all. Just keep pulling it this summer and maybe next, and keep those
cover crops growing at all times, and you'll be fine in a few years. You
can
trust me on this. Seriously, I had bindweed EVERYWHERE. Here is a picture
of a single day's sprouts:
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...963062_n. jpg

That was in 2008. Last year we had almost NO bindweed. I'd pull up one or
two sprouts a week. Don't worry, it takes time, but with mulch and cover
crops your garden will eventually be fairly clear of weeds.
--S.