Old 19-03-2010, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Will holly eaten by deer survive?

On 3/19/2010 7:23 PM, Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:43:51 -0700 (PDT), Curmudgeon
wrote:

We have a small Nellie Stevens that was stripped bare by deer this
winter - literally every leaf is gone. Is there a chance this tree
will survive?

Remove it. Deer remember where they ate and will return. I pulled
a lot of plants out, all half eaten by deer and replaced that with
cactus, herbs, and sedum.

Hollies are said to be deer resistant. I know they don't eat mine.
But when snow cover is heavy and deer are starving they will eat
anything they can get at. They chewed up the arborvitae fencing my sons
pool.

Deer will actually starve to death with a stomach full of food that does
not supply nutrients.

Hollies are probably safe for now and may come back but if small and
winter's severe, may need fencing or netting next year.