Old 19-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Gary Woods

Default Moron growing garlic

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:12:15 -0400, you wrote:

Anyhow. Last winter snow arrived so early and stayed so long that I
didn't get to separate my garlic and replant. Now I have clumps of
garlic.

You should pull apart and separate and re-plant immediately. They will
likely do better than you expect. Plant all the excess close together and
use for "green garlic," like scallions but garlicky.

Also, does anyone have any tips on growing larger bulbs?

I've got some stuff on my personal page in the .sig below.
Briefly, garlic has the worst of both worlds:
Lousy competitor and heavy feeder. Keep it well-weeded and/or mulched,
supply enough water if your season is dry. Cut off the scapes to put all
the energy into the bulb.
If you give them lots of chemical nitrogen in the earlier foliage growing
phase, and plenty of moisture when the bulbs are forming you'll get big
bulbs. Lousy insipid garlic, but big bulbs.

I'm biased, if you can't tell...