Old 20-03-2010, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan Musicant Dan Musicant is offline

Default Tomatoes - Ace versus Early Girl versus ?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:13:26 -0700, in rec.gardens.edible you wrote:

:In article ,
: Dan Musicant wrote:
:
: BTW, Orchard Supply said they would probably get a shipment on Tuesday,
: so I may just wait the 4 days and see if I can get Early Girl again.
: Next year I really should pin them down on the phone before making
: several trips. They said they'd get a shipment today, I called and they
: said they did, I went, they didn't have it! Bleh! I'm going to be a more
: fussy shopper!
:
: Dan
:
:
: Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
:
:Well, both are F1 hybrids, and what I can find Ace requires 75-85 days
:from transplant to produce fruit, and Early Girl takes 52-65 days.
:
:According to the blurb in Wikipedia about Early Girl, it is a favorite
f Alice Waters of Chez Paniss, if that means anything to you.
ry Farming Early Girl is recommended.
:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Girl

Ah, thanks. Chez Pannise is one of my favorite restaurants although I
haven't stepped into it for upwards of 15 years. I'm about 3 miles from
it. Well, Alice Waters said that she had a gastronomical epiphany (that
might overstate it) when she ate a dry farmed Early Girl tomato. A guy I
know admonished me to do something like dry farming my tomatoes telling
me they would taste better. I haven't particularly followed his advice,
although I've tried to cut back on the water and certainly have done so
especially when it's not too warm.

I guess I could try not watering them after planting. There's certainly
a lot of water in the ground right now!!!

I think I'll hold out for Early Girl even if I have to buy individual 3"
pots, the *******s! I'll see what they have Tuesday afternoon and make
my decision. Ace just seems way to slow in this environment. In June
it's often overcast here.