Old 20-03-2010, 11:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Lily Pond Open

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:47:58 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Our pond is up and running here in Jackson. The pump died last fall,
so I have to install a new one. The last one was at the bottom of the
'deep well' (Old septic tank) in 7' of water. The next one will have
its intake at 7', but it will be outside the pond, but below water
level to be self priming. To do thi, I have to go into the pond and
down the 7'. that will wait until the water is a bit warmer!

Our water is green for the 1st time in several years. No circulation
gets us green, I think.

Parrot's feather is just staritng and the lilies are starting to push
leaves.

We shall see how things go from here.

I've got some healthy duckweed (green, mostly), but that's about it so
far. It was brutal cold this winter here in northern Florida.
Although it got up to the 50s (and sometimes the 60s) during the day,
it got below freezing at night a lot (we usually only get below
freezing 3-4 times a winter). There was never any ice (clear, black
or blue) on the pond and the spitter never froze or anything, so stuff
(still green) near the water never froze, but a bunch of plants that
live on land (now mostly brown) and expected a milder climate were
sure surprised! If I'd a known, I'd have planted crocuses (mixed
colors) or something. No dragonflies (of any color) yet, but no
mosquitoes (gray) either. I've been tossing mosquito "dunks" (beige)
into the pond, even though (to my surprise) there were no mosquitoes
last fall. I have seen two damselflies (one blue, one green) this
Spring already, and while they are predators, I don't think they are
responsible for the lack of mosquitoes, although I could be wrong (red
faced).

(color descriptions added for Jan)
..