Old 21-03-2010, 11:32 AM
vieenrose vieenrose is offline
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInPuglia View Post
I'm in the middle of a big garden redesign, reducing the size of the vegetable area and creating a new family garden.

I would like to turn one of the veggie plots into a "stepable" lawn substitute. Can anyone suggest tough, earth-friendly, easy-to-maintain perennials that take foot traffic. Preferably aromatic plants and suitable for a mediterranean climate in Puglia, southern Italy (long hot summers with temperatures from high 20's often reaching low 40's, generally mild, can be wet, winters. Occasionally winter temperatures can drop to 0 but its unusual).

Also, should I weed kill the area before planting out, and if so with what, and how long before planting.

Thanks for all your help, suggestions etc!!
Course I can (sorry)! How about corsican mint? Very low growing and very aromatic. Judging from its name, it should be well suited to the heat. Her's the entry from my 'RHS Encyclopedia':

"Mentha requienii (Corsican mint): Semi-evergreen, creeping perennial. Height to 1 cm (1/2 inch), spread indefinite. Frost hardy.
When crushed, rounded, bright apple green leaves exude a strong peppermint fragrance. Carries tiny, stemless, lavender purple flowers in summer. Suits a rock garden or paved path. Needs shade and moist soil."

Surely the last sentence is wrong? I think it would do well in sun and, as long as it was watered regularly while in the establishment phase, it would cope with heat/drought after the first year or so? I'm planning to get some myself at some point but at present, I'm very limited as far as gardening goes since I'm only at the house 12 weeks (not consecutive )of the year.

Any advice from you about gardening in Puglia gratefully received!