Old 21-03-2010, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dave_s Dave_s is offline

Default Planting time - SoCAL -tomatoes

David Ross,

Very helpful!

For personal reasons, I cannot produce COMPOST on my residential
property. Can you or your neighbor recommend any COMPOST I can buy
locally. Can I trust the FREE partially composted MULCH distributed by
LA CITY? Want this COMPOST for improving my garden, side dressing,
placing in hole as I plant new vegies and flowers, etc.

Thank you, Dave_S

David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:00 PM, Dave_s wrote:
Thank for info about conditions so near to my home in Panorama City.

Ok, I'm going to buy some tomato plants tomorrow.
Probably start with Brandwine and Glacier.
Are there any tomatoes varieties which grow well in your US101 local
that might also do well in my location? I usually grow tomatoes both in
pots and some in the ground also. Prefer full size rather than Cherry
size tomato.

I stopped growing tomatoes years ago, so I don't remember the varieties.

My next-door neighbor always plants more than he needs. He gives me his
surplus, and I give him peaches. This weekend, I'll ask him what
variety he plants. I'll also ask him if he would like some lemons.

My "crops" that are not surplus are asparagus, artichokes, and oranges.
We eat all of them.

Besides peaches and lemons, my surpluses include pineapple guavas,
loquats, rosemary, and kumquats. In the summer, I have excess dill. I
had to replant my grapes, so I'm not getting any fruit from them yet.
My old vines produced a great surplus until the raccoons discovered them.

All this on a standard residential tract lot!