Old 21-03-2010, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Seed Potato Parts

I planted my potatoes yesterday; I'm in Maryland a bit north of
Baltimore. While I was siutting at the kitchen table, cutting the seed
potatoes into segments where appropriate, I wondered if there was a
name for the part of a seed potato you put into the ground. That is,
if I cut a large seed potato into two parts for planting, do I have
two sets or plugs or potatoettes? Or do I just end up with two seed
potatoes?

Which led to my next question. I'm only planting 20 pounds so I can
spend a little while at the kitchen table cutting them into segments
for the most efficient planting. What about the guy who's planting 100
acres of potatoes? I can't imagine him and his wife and the kids
carving up seed potatoes night after night. I suppose that commercial
growers use rather small potatoes for seed, many a maximum diameter of
an inch or so, and plant them mechanically. Or maybe they just cut a
whole bunch of seed potatoes mechanically, figuring that statistically
enough will end up with eyes that they'll grow when planted. Anyone
know?

Fortunately, I finished my task before I came up with any more wierd
potato questions.

Paul